Monday, 19 March 2012

Square peg in round hole


While attending class today, my mind wandered into a territory which has left me with unanswered but
very important questions.
"Why am I here? Am I at the right place? What the hell am I doing in engineering?"
I tried to focus back on what was being taught or at least pretend to do so mainly to avoid being labeled as “Alice in wonderland.” However the class had moved too fast and the board looked nothing more than a collection of Latin letters.I started nodding anyway to the words she said and tried to keep those thoughts closed for now.

When I came out the questions started to bother me again. What will I do after engineering?
Debugging, coding for over 8 hours day, shopping and outings on weekends and getting paid after a
month seemed unimpressive if not depressing. Somehow it seemed like someone had applied a for loop on my life and that one month was getting reiterated over and over again.

When I asked many of my engineering friends why they joined engineering? I got these
answers:
  •  Parents forced me to join.
  • There is good scope for it and we get a decent salary.
  • My relatives have done their engineering and they are doing well financially.
  • Didn't get proper ranking in CET/COMED K to take up medical.
  • Was not interested in taking BA, BSc or BCA so took engineering.
Only 10% of the students are really interested in engineering and they are working towards it. One
of the surveys made suggested that only 25% of the Indian engineering graduates are actually
employable. Then what about the rest?

So what is the solution for this problem? Solution is within us. Doing what you like goes a long way in
making this journey of life a sweeter experience. A fundamental change is also required to stop the attitude of going with the crowd. Life is too short to spend your time doing something which you don’t like!

No comments:

Post a Comment